Globalytic
GlobalyticPoliticsConflictsTechScienceHealthBusinessWorld

Globalytic

Independent world coverage — geopolitics, conflicts, science, and health — with AI-assisted editing and verification.

Sections

  • World
  • Politics
  • Conflicts
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Business
  • World
  • All news
  • Search

Resources

  • About
  • RSS Feed
  • Search

Summaries and analysis may be AI-assisted. Content is for informational purposes only.

Not professional advice.

© 2026 Globalytic. All rights reserved.

  1. Home
  2. /News
  3. /WHO raises Ebola public health risk to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
Load next article
HealthBreakingurgent

WHO raises Ebola public health risk to ‘very high’ in DR Congo

Al Jazeera English1h ago4 min readOriginal source →
WHO raises Ebola public health risk to ‘very high’ in DR Congo

TL;DR

The WHO has raised the public health risk of the Ebola outbreak in the DRC to 'very high' as cases and deaths continue to rise. Currently, there are 82 confirmed cases and 177 suspected deaths.

Key points

  • WHO upgraded Ebola outbreak risk in DRC to 'very high'
  • 82 confirmed cases and 177 suspected deaths reported
  • Almost 750 suspected cases identified
  • WHO personnel deployed to Ituri province
  • Situation described as 'deeply worrisome' by WHO chief

Mentioned in this story

World Health OrganizationDemocratic Republic of the CongoIturi province
Bundibugyo strain

Why it matters

The escalation of the Ebola outbreak in the DRC poses a significant public health threat, requiring urgent international attention and resources.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has upgraded the public health risk of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo from high to “very high” as the deadly outbreak continues to spread.

WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, announced on Friday that they were revising their risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, to “very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at global level.”

Tedros also said on X that the situation in the DRC was “deeply worrisome”.

“So far, 82 cases have been confirmed, with seven confirmed deaths. But we know the epidemic in the DRC is much larger. There are now almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths,” he wrote.

He added that additional WHO personnel had been deployed to the epicentre of the DRC’s outbreak in Ituri province, to support affected communities.

The new strain of the virus currently has no approved vaccine or treatment, and the WHO declared it an emergency of international concern on Sunday.

Ebola is an often-fatal virus that causes fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea. It spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said on Friday that volunteers are going door-to-door in the area at the centre of ⁠the outbreak, to combat misinformation about Ebola and explain how people can protect themselves and seek care.

“Community reactions remain mixed. For some people the outbreak is very real and they are taking information on ‌how to protect themselves,” Gabriela Arenas, the Regional Operations Coordinator for the IFRC Africa Region, told reporters via video link from Nairobi. “For others, there’s still suspicion and misinformation claiming that Ebola is fabricated.”

Public health measures

Reporting from the eastern Congolese city of Goma, in neighbouring North Kivu province, Al Jazeera’s Alain Uaykani said authorities are taking “serious measures” against the outbreak as the situation escalates.

In an official order on Friday, Ituri’s provincial government restricted funerals, saying burials must now be conducted only by specialised teams and prohibited the transport of dead bodies by non-medical vehicles.

It also limited public gatherings to a maximum of 50 people and suspended the local football league.

This came a day after residents in Ituri province’s Rwampara town torched an Ebola treatment centre and clashed with police ⁠while trying to recover the body of a victim on Thursday.

“The way things are going in Ituri, they are fearing that more cases are spreading because the majority of the cases reported across the region are still coming from Ituri,” Uaykani said.

Q&A

What is the current status of the Ebola outbreak in the DRC?

The Ebola outbreak in the DRC has 82 confirmed cases and 177 suspected deaths, with the risk level now classified as 'very high' by the WHO.

Why did the WHO raise the Ebola risk level in the DRC?

The WHO raised the risk level due to the rapid spread of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, indicating a significant increase in confirmed and suspected cases.

How many suspected Ebola cases are there in the DRC?

There are currently almost 750 suspected cases of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

What actions is the WHO taking in response to the Ebola outbreak?

The WHO has deployed additional personnel to the epicenter of the outbreak in Ituri province to support affected communities.

People also ask

  • current Ebola outbreak status in DRC
  • WHO Ebola risk assessment DRC
  • Ebola cases and deaths in DRC
  • WHO response to Ebola outbreak in DRC

Related Articles

WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands
Health

WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands

WHO reports 12th hantavirus case in the Netherlands; 3 deaths confirmed.

Al Jazeera English·15m ago·1 min read
Marco Rubio: Trump ‘disappointment’ with Nato will be discussed at summit
Politics

Marco Rubio: Trump ‘disappointment’ with Nato will be discussed at summit

Trump's disappointment with NATO allies over Iran will be a key topic at the July summit.

The Guardian World·22m ago·1 min read
Soft power sell-off: anger as British Council announces sale of historic Madrid building
Politics

Soft power sell-off: anger as British Council announces sale of historic Madrid building

Protests erupt as British Council announces sale of Madrid's historic Palacete building

The Guardian World·25m ago·1 min read
Kevin Warsh sworn in as new US Fed chair
Business

Kevin Warsh sworn in as new US Fed chair

Kevin Warsh has officially taken office as the new chair of the US Federal Reserve, succeeding Jerome Powell.

Al Jazeera English·36m ago·1 min read
Wes Streeting insists he can win Labour leadership race despite ‘underdog’ status
Politics

Wes Streeting insists he can win Labour leadership race despite ‘underdog’ status

Wes Streeting insists he can win Labour leadership race despite being an underdog.

The Guardian World·44m ago·1 min read
Western nations warn Israel to end illegal settlement expansion, violence
Politics

Western nations warn Israel to end illegal settlement expansion, violence

Nine Western countries call on Israel to stop illegal settlement expansion and violence.

Al Jazeera English·52m ago·1 min read

More from News

View all →

See every story in News — including breaking news and analysis.

At a glance

  • WHO upgraded Ebola outbreak risk in DRC to 'very high'
  • 82 confirmed cases and 177 suspected deaths reported
  • Almost 750 suspected cases identified
  • WHO personnel deployed to Ituri province
  • Situation described as 'deeply worrisome' by WHO chief

Advertisement

Placeholder

The world should not underestimate the risk posed by this ⁠Ebola outbreak, Mohamed Yakub Janabi, the ⁠WHO regional director for Africa, told the Reuters news agency on Friday.

“It would be a big mistake to underestimate it, especially with a virus with this strain, Bundibugyo, [for] which we don’t have the vaccine,” Janabi said, adding that the outbreak in DRC has had relatively little global attention compared with this month’s hantavirus outbreak, which affected cruise ship passengers from 23 countries, including wealthy Western nations.

“You just need one contact case to put all of us at risk, so my wish and prayer is that we should give [Ebola] the ⁠attention it deserves,” he said.

Moreover, the WHO director of health emergency alert and response operations, Abdirahman Mahamud, also said on Friday that the potential for this virus to spread rapidly was “high, very high, and that changed the whole dynamic”.

The strain of Ebola was also documented in Uganda, but Tedros said that the situation there was “currently stable”, after one death linked to a case from DRC was reported.

Tedros added that a United States national who was working in the DRC has tested positive for Ebola and was transferred to Germany for care, and there was “another American national, who is a high-risk contact, who has been transferred to the Czech Republic”.