Globalytic
GlobalyticPoliticsConflictsTechScienceHealthBusinessWorld

Globalytic

Independent world coverage — geopolitics, conflicts, science, and health — with AI-assisted editing and verification.

Sections

  • World
  • Politics
  • Conflicts
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Business
  • World
  • All news
  • Search

Resources

  • About
  • RSS Feed
  • Search

Summaries and analysis may be AI-assisted. Content is for informational purposes only.

Not professional advice.

© 2026 Globalytic. All rights reserved.

  1. Home
  2. /News
  3. /WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands
HealthBreakingurgent

WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands

Al Jazeera English1h ago2 min readOriginal source →
WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands

TL;DR

The WHO has reported a 12th hantavirus case in the Netherlands, involving a crew member from the MV Hondius cruise ship. Three fatalities have occurred since the outbreak began, but no new deaths have been reported since May 2.

Key points

  • WHO reports 12th hantavirus case in the Netherlands
  • Infected individual is a crew member of the MV Hondius
  • Total of three deaths linked to the outbreak
  • No new deaths reported since May 2
  • Countries urged to monitor passengers

Mentioned in this story

World Health OrganizationNetherlands
MV Hondius

Why it matters

The detection of additional hantavirus cases highlights the need for ongoing public health vigilance and monitoring to prevent further spread.

The World Health Organization has urged countries to continue monitoring passengers for hantavirus after a case was detected among a Dutch crew member of the ship at the centre of the outbreak.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO chief, told a news conference in Geneva on Friday that he urges all countries to monitor the passengers who were on board the MV Hondius cruise ship and “move carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period”.

Tedros said a Dutch crew member had tested positive and was now in isolation, taking the total positive cases to 12.

So far, three people have died due to the virus.

Tedros reiterated that no deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to the WHO.

“More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located,” he added.

Dutch authorities also confirmed that the infected crew member had been taken to hospital.

“The Andes virus has been detected in one person who was in quarantine in the Netherlands. The patient has since been admitted to the hospital as a precaution and is in isolation,” said the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).

“The RIVM understands that this news may raise questions or concerns. However, the chance of further spread in the Netherlands remains very small,” the statement said.

According to the RIVM, everyone who had evacuated from the Dutch-flagged ship to the Netherlands is tested every week, and two separate laboratories confirmed the positive test.

It added that the person who had tested positive had been isolating at home.

The initial cruise ship had departed on April 1 from Ushuaia, Argentina, before heading to Cape Verde and then Tenerife in Spain’s Canary Islands.

While the WHO is investigating how the virus got on board the ship, it is believed that the first person to contract it could have been exposed to rodents during a bird-watching expedition.

While rodents spread hantavirus, the Andes strain is the only known strain capable of spreading from human to human.

Q&A

What is hantavirus and how is it transmitted?

Hantavirus is a viral infection primarily transmitted through contact with rodent droppings, urine, or saliva, and can cause severe respiratory issues.

How many people have been infected with hantavirus in the Netherlands?

As of now, there have been 12 confirmed cases of hantavirus infection in the Netherlands.

What precautions is the WHO recommending regarding the hantavirus outbreak?

The WHO is urging countries to monitor passengers from the MV Hondius cruise ship and to proceed cautiously during the quarantine period.

People also ask

  • What is hantavirus outbreak in the Netherlands?
  • How many hantavirus cases reported in the Netherlands?
  • What precautions are being taken for hantavirus?
Load next article

Related Articles

Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual assault in Israeli detention
Conflicts

Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual assault in Israeli detention

Activists from Gaza flotilla report abuse and sexual assault in Israeli detention, raising international concerns.

Al Jazeera English·24m ago·1 min read
Maguire 'very unlucky' to miss World Cup - Rooney
World

Maguire 'very unlucky' to miss World Cup - Rooney

Wayne Rooney says Harry Maguire was 'very unlucky' to miss out on the World Cup squad.

BBC News·30m ago·1 min read
Drake's surprise three-album drop makes UK album chart history
World

Drake's surprise three-album drop makes UK album chart history

Drake's surprise three-album drop makes UK chart history!

BBC News·33m ago·1 min read
UK pitched single market for goods with EU, as it pursues deeper trade ties
Politics

UK pitched single market for goods with EU, as it pursues deeper trade ties

UK government seeks single market for goods with EU, but faces rejection.

The Guardian World·37m ago·1 min read
‘Kind of humiliating’: trans community responds to EHRC’s new code of practice
Politics

‘Kind of humiliating’: trans community responds to EHRC’s new code of practice

The Equality and Human Rights Commission's new code mandates that single-sex spaces be used based on biological sex, excluding transgender individuals from facilities aligning with their gender identity. This has sparked significant concern and frustration within the trans community and LGBTQ+ advocates.

The Guardian World·39m ago·1 min read
One of shooters in deadly attack at San Diego mosque was previously flagged by FBI
Conflicts

One of shooters in deadly attack at San Diego mosque was previously flagged by FBI

San Diego mosque shooter was previously flagged by the FBI as a threat.

The Guardian World·52m ago·1 min read

More from News

View all →

See every story in News — including breaking news and analysis.

At a glance

  • WHO reports 12th hantavirus case in the Netherlands
  • Infected individual is a crew member of the MV Hondius
  • Total of three deaths linked to the outbreak
  • No new deaths reported since May 2
  • Countries urged to monitor passengers

Advertisement

Placeholder