Globalytic
GlobalyticPoliticsConflictsTechScienceHealthBusinessWorld

Globalytic

Independent world coverage — geopolitics, conflicts, science, and health — with AI-assisted editing and verification.

Sections

  • World
  • Politics
  • Conflicts
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Business
  • World
  • All news
  • Search

Resources

  • About
  • RSS Feed
  • Search

Summaries and analysis may be AI-assisted. Content is for informational purposes only.

Not professional advice.

© 2026 Globalytic. All rights reserved.

  1. Home
  2. /News
  3. /WHO says 600 suspected cases, 139 deaths in growing Ebola outbreak
HealthBreakingurgent

WHO says 600 suspected cases, 139 deaths in growing Ebola outbreak

Al Jazeera English7h ago2 min readOriginal source →
WHO says 600 suspected cases, 139 deaths in growing Ebola outbreak

TL;DR

The WHO reports 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 deaths in the DRC and Uganda. The outbreak is deemed a public health emergency, with a high risk at national and regional levels.

Key points

  • 600 suspected Ebola cases reported
  • 139 suspected deaths in DRC and Uganda
  • WHO classifies outbreak as public health emergency
  • Risk assessed as high nationally and regionally
  • Focus on identifying transmission chains

Mentioned in this story

World Health OrganizationDemocratic Republic of the CongoUganda

Why it matters

The rising number of suspected Ebola cases and deaths highlights the urgent need for public health interventions in the affected regions.

The number of suspected Ebola cases in Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda has risen to 600, with 139 suspected deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

The WHO Emergency Committee met in Geneva on Wednesday, where Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus confirmed to reporters that the virus remains a public health emergency of international concern, but not a pandemic emergency.

“The WHO assess the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Tedros said.

Previous figures reported by DRC officials were an estimated 131 deaths from 513 suspected cases. The outbreak has arisen just five months after the DRC declared its previous epidemic over.

WHO emergencies chief Chikwe Ihekweazu said at the same news conference that the organisation’s “absolute priority now is to identify all the existing chains of transmission”.

“That will then enable us to really define the scale of the outbreak and be able to provide care,” Ihekweazu said.

Tedros first declared the emergency on Sunday and said he had done so without consulting other experts due to the urgency of the situation.

Health authorities say the outbreak is being fuelled by the Bundibugyo strain, a type of Ebola virus for which no vaccine or treatment exists.

Suspected super-spreader event

Of the 600 suspected cases, the WHO said 51 had been confirmed in the DRC’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu.

Uganda has also confirmed two cases in Kampala, including one death, from two people who travelled from the DRC to Uganda.

A medical missionary who contracted Ebola in the DRC is also being transported to Germany for treatment.

WHO experts said that they believe the outbreak began a few months ago, with the first suspected death reported on April 20.

After the first death, officials said, a suspected super-spreader event is believed to have taken place at either a funeral or a healthcare facility, though investigations are ongoing.

A European Union spokesperson, meanwhile, said on Wednesday the risk of an outbreak in Europe is “very low”.

“We know that diseases do not stop at the borders, and this is also the case of Ebola,” spokesperson Eva Hrncirova told reporters.

But “there is no indication” that Europeans need to do anything other than follow standard health advice, she said.

Q&A

What is the current Ebola outbreak status in the DRC and Uganda?

The current Ebola outbreak has 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

How does the WHO classify the Ebola outbreak risk?

The WHO classifies the risk of the Ebola outbreak as high at the national and regional levels, but low at the global level.

What actions is the WHO taking regarding the Ebola outbreak?

The WHO's priority is to identify all existing chains of transmission to control the outbreak effectively.

People also ask

  • current Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda
  • WHO Ebola outbreak risk assessment
  • actions taken by WHO for Ebola outbreak
Load next article

Related Articles

James Murdoch to acquire New York Magazine and Vox Media Podcast Network
Business

James Murdoch to acquire New York Magazine and Vox Media Podcast Network

James Murdoch to acquire New York Magazine and Vox Media Podcast Network for over $300 million.

Al Jazeera English·48m ago·1 min read
Michael Bay to direct film based on US military rescue mission in Iran
World

Michael Bay to direct film based on US military rescue mission in Iran

Michael Bay set to direct a film on US military rescue mission in Iran

The Guardian World·1h ago·1 min read
UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
Business

UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states

UK finalizes a £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states, removing tariffs and boosting business.

BBC News·1h ago·1 min read
US indicts Cuba’s former leader Raul Castro: Why it matters
Politics

US indicts Cuba’s former leader Raul Castro: Why it matters

US indicts Raul Castro for 1996 downing of civilian planes, escalating tensions with Cuba.

Al Jazeera English·1h ago·1 min read
US threatens to revoke the Palestinian UN ambassador's visa
Politics

US threatens to revoke the Palestinian UN ambassador's visa

US warns of visa revocation for Palestinian U.N. delegation over election bid

NPR Topics: News·1h ago·1 min read
UK radio station apologises for accidentally announcing king’s death
World

UK radio station apologises for accidentally announcing king’s death

UK radio station Radio Caroline mistakenly announces King Charles's death and apologizes.

The Guardian World·1h ago·1 min read

More from News

View all →

See every story in News — including breaking news and analysis.

At a glance

  • 600 suspected Ebola cases reported
  • 139 suspected deaths in DRC and Uganda
  • WHO classifies outbreak as public health emergency
  • Risk assessed as high nationally and regionally
  • Focus on identifying transmission chains

Advertisement

Placeholder