
Junior school pupil treated for meningitis in fourth Reading case
A junior school pupil in Reading is treated for meningitis, marking the fourth case linked to the same social network.

Donald Trump announced that a planned attack on Iran is on hold at the request of Gulf allies, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, to facilitate peace talks. He emphasized military readiness for a large-scale assault if a satisfactory deal is not achieved.
Mentioned in this story
From
We are restarting our live coverage of the US-Israeli war on Iran and the other conflicts in the Middle East. Donald Trump says he has called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday at the request of Gulf states so peace talks could continue.
In a post on Truth Social on Monday, the US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump said he had been told a deal would be made that is “very acceptable” to the US, adding there would be “no nuclear weapons for Iran”.
He said, however, that he had informed his military leaders “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached”.

An Iranian man walk past a picture of supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei in a street in Tehran. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA
The announcement came as Iran’s foreign military spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, claimed Pakistan has shared Tehran’s latest proposal with the US.
Trump has repeatedly threatened to launch new strikes on Iran, only to retreat at the last minute. The war on Iran is deeply unpopular with the American public and is hitting consumers hard with increased oil and fertiliser costs resulting from the reduced flow of vessels through the critical strait of Hormuz. ‘
Negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme and the strait of Hormuz have reached a deadlock and the US’s blockade of Iranian ports is failing to force Tehran into making painful concessions even though Iran is suffering an escalating economic crisis.
Trump did not say what targets the US had planned to strike on Tuesday, but officials said the military could have targeted Iran’s ballistic missile sites, according to the New York Times.
Explore more on these topics
Trump canceled the planned attack on Iran at the request of Gulf allies to allow for ongoing peace talks.
The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates requested the delay of the attack on Iran.
Trump stated that the deal being negotiated would ensure there are 'no nuclear weapons for Iran.'

A junior school pupil in Reading is treated for meningitis, marking the fourth case linked to the same social network.

Meet Andy Burnham: Manchester Mayor and potential successor to PM Starmer.

Households in Great Britain face a £200 increase in energy bills this July, reaching nearly £1,900 annually.

Labour party members show preference for Andy Burnham as leader over Keir Starmer, according to YouGov polling.

Tragic San Diego mosque shooting leaves three dead; attackers identified

Activists Demand Release of Zainab Sheriff Amid Free Speech Crackdown
See every story in News — including breaking news and analysis.