
Trump says he’ll speak to Taiwan’s leader: Why that is significant
Trump hints at speaking with Taiwan's President, a historic move amid U.S.-China tensions.

Afghanistan's displaced female cricketers will tour England next month, marking their return to international cricket after being excluded by the Taliban. The tour includes Twenty20 matches and training opportunities, culminating in attendance at the Women's T20 World Cup final.
Mentioned in this story
Afghanistan’s displaced female cricketers will tour England next month, a landmark moment on a five-year journey to rebuild their careers and remain part of the game following their exclusion from sport after the Taliban’s return to power.
The Afghanistan Refugee team will contain players who had been contracted to the Afghanistan Cricket Board and left the country after being “systematically excluded from sport and public life” by the Taliban, the England and Wales Cricket Board said on Thursday in announcing the tour.
It will begin on June 22 and include Twenty20 matches as well as opportunities to train and also attend the Women’s T20 World Cup final at Lord’s on July 5.
The ECB said the tour “carries significant cultural and sporting importance”.
“This tour represents not only an opportunity for them to compete as a team,” the English governing body said, “but a moment for cricket in this country to stand for inclusion and the protection of women’s participation in sport.”
Most of the Afghan players resettled in Australia, where they continued playing in domestic competitions but without access to international cricket, despite International Cricket Council (ICC) regulations requiring all test-playing members to support men’s and women’s national teams.
The women have repeatedly asked the ICC to reform as a refugee team.
Their reintegration to cricket has been supported by a consultancy firm – “It’s Game On” – cofounded by former Australia international Mel Jones.
“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them,” Jones said in the ECB statement.
“They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognized as part of the global cricket community.”
Jones called for more plans for “sustained and meaningful action beyond this year”.
Clare Connor, the ECB deputy chief executive, said cricket had “a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity.”
“We are proud to be hosting this tour,” Connor said, “and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”
The tour symbolizes a major step towards inclusion and the protection of women's participation in sports after their exclusion by the Taliban.
The tour is set to begin on June 22 and will include various matches and training sessions.
The team will play Twenty20 matches and attend the Women's T20 World Cup final at Lord's on July 5.

Trump hints at speaking with Taiwan's President, a historic move amid U.S.-China tensions.

George Russell aims to overcome a tough start at the Canadian GP.

OpenAI achieves breakthrough in solving an 80-year-old maths problem.

Former Minnesota nonprofit head Aimee Bock sentenced to nearly 42 years for $250M fraud.

British Gymnastics will replace its independent complaints process after victims criticized its effectiveness. The decision follows a report highlighting systemic abuse and a culture of fear within the sport.

Havana residents express fear as US considers military action against Cuba amid Raúl Castro's indictment.
See every story in News — including breaking news and analysis.